Our story began in 1999, with the inimitable artistic partnership of circus artists Julian Bracey and Billy Alwen. At the time, contemporary circus in the UK was a fledgling art form, taking its cues from both popular and counter-culture. Billy and Julian’s decision to form a company dedicated to making an accessible and creative form of modern circus was ahead of the zeitgeist.
Within a couple of years they were spending more time making shows and less time in the air or on the street. Word of mouth recommendations brought more and more commissions and the Company was soon averaging annual audience figures of 250,000.
18 years in, Cirque Bijou is a sustainable not-for-profit organisation and a creative powerhouse with a team of producers and a global network of collaborators, supported by a unique mix of Arts Council project funding, local authority commissions and wide-ranging commercial projects.
Today, Cirque Bijou combine a pioneering spirit with sky-high production values that gives our shows a unique edge few can match. We make shows in myriad environments with and for communities and clients worldwide, with emerging and world class artists, and for audiences of 50 to tens of thousands. We are proudly based in Bristol – a city full of artists and a thriving circus network.
what we do
- We tell stories for audiences and communities worldwide, using circus, theatre, music, visual effects and technology.
- We approach new commissions with open minds and a connoisseur’s diverse and expansive knowledge.
- We settle for no less than the dream team for each new ideas-driven, original and bold show.
- We ground our work firmly in informed planning and confident execution.
- We are passionate about diversity and sustainability in all that we do.
- We make shows that are authentic, memorable and a true feast for the senses.